New London Museum

Preserving the history of New London, Virginia

February 17, 2014
by admin

“Our Schools… Gone, But Not Forgotten” in recognition of Black History Month

Date:  Saturday, February 22, 2014
Time:  3:30 PM
Location:  Friends of New London Museum, 672 Alum Springs Road, Forest, Va.
Admission:  Free
Saturday, February 22, 2014, at 3:30 PM, the Friends of New London, Virginia will host a a Black History Month program at the FNL office, 672 Alum Springs Rd., Forest (the former New London United Methodist Church building).  This program will feature alumni from each of the now- closed segregated black high schools of central Virginia.  Alumni will speak of their experiences as students at Campbell County High School, Susie Gibson HS (Bedford Co.), Dunbar HS (Lynchburg), Central HS (Amherst Co.), and Carver – Price HS (Appomattox Co.).  Speakers include:  Mrs. Margaret Nash Thomas; Miss Beverly Jones; Mrs. Henrietta Hurtt; Mr. James Nash; Mr. Larkin Watts, and others.  Master of Ceremonies will be Mrs. Delores Nash Hicks.  This event is free to interested members of the public and everyone is invited to come enjoy memories of student life at these schools.
FNL is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization working to preserve the history of the colonial village of New London and its vicinity.  New London became the county seat of Bedford County at the county’s formation in 1754. New London became part of Campbell County in 1782.  Event parking will be at 672 Alum Springs Rd.   For further information please contact Delores Nash Hicks, 434 – 528 – 0582 or From Timberlake Rd. or US 460, turn South onto Turkey Foot Rd. then one quarter mile to Alum Springs Rd. and event parking, or turn at the Seven Eleven at Wildwood, then onto Alum Springs Road.  For additional information, or to check weather conditions, please contact Reve Carwile (434) 907 – 5396.

September 1, 2013
by admin

Coffee and Chocolate Night at Mead’s Tavern

Date:  Saturday, September 28, 2013

Time:  7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Location:  Friends of New London Museum, Mead’s Tavern, 594 Alum Springs Road, Forest, Va.

Admission:  $ 20.00 per person.  All proceeds to benefit the Mead’s Tavern Capital Campaign

Coffeehouse with CAO Artisan Chocolates

Saturday, September 28, 2013, from 7:00 to 9:00 PM, the Friends of New London, Virginia will host a Coffeehouse and chocolate tasting at Mead’s Tavern, 594 Alum Springs Rd., Forest.  This event will feature chocolate tastings, bars, barks, and truffles by Carl and Mary Matice of CAO Artisan Chocolates Handcrafted from the Bean, of 119 N. Bridge Street, Bedford, Va.   FNL volunteers will serve fresh- brewed coffee and teas.  At 8 PM, Carl Matice will give a presentation on the types of cacao beans and the chocolate making process.  CAO Artisans handcraft their chocolates from high quality and fair trade Criollo, and Trinitario cacao beans.  By using only quality ingredients, CAO Artisans do not have to mask flavor or bitterness with high percentages of sugar, milk, or other fillers.  This event is a fundraiser for the Mead’s Tavern Capital Campaign.  FNL is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization working to preserve the 1763 Mead’s Tavern and to restore the tavern portion to its colonial appearance.   New London became the county seat of Bedford County at the county’s formation in 1754.  The county courthouse was located across the street from Mead’s Tavern.  New London became part of Campbell County in 1782.  Event parking will be at 594 and 672 Alum Springs Rd.   Admission is $20 per person which includes coffee or tea, light refreshments, and chocolate tastings plus three truffles of your choice.  Please RSVP to Randy Lichtenberger (434) 258 – 8478 or email to  For further information please visit or From Timberlake Rd. or US 460, turn South onto Turkey Foot Rd. then one quarter mile to Alum Springs Rd. and event parking, or turn at the Seven Eleven at Wildwood, then onto Alum Springs Road.  For additional information, please contact Reve Carwile (434) 907 – 5396.

July 18, 2013
by admin

“The Vanishing Virginian” Movie Night

Join Friends of New London on Saturday, August 3rd as we honor Louise Christian Russell of Cedar Grove, Forest, Va. There is a reception with heavy hors d’oeuvres at 6:30PM followed by the movie at 7. The book “The Vanishing Virginian” was written by Rebecca Yancey Williams about her childhood summers at Cedar Grove, and the movie by that name debuted in 1942. Location is the New London Museum Office (former New London Methodist Church) at 672 Alum Springs Road. $5 donation suggested. RSVP by calling (434) 525-4234 or emailing

May 1, 2013
by admin

New London Day 2013 is Saturday May 4th!

Our annual event highlighting New London History. This year includes open house and tours at Mead’s Tavern and the historic African-American church, archaeological work at Mead’s Tavern, live music, research room, craft vendors and more! Pork BBQ sandwiches, hotdogs, drinks and snacks available. Hours 10AM to 4PM.  Free admission.  Donations appreciated.

April 16, 2013
by admin

Tuckahoe Field Trip April 24th

Our friends at Jefferson’s Poplar Forest still have room on a fantastic field trip to Jefferson’s boyhood home of Tuckahoe.  Make your plans soon as space is limited!

A group of Poplar Forest Docents are planning a trip to Tuckahoe Plantation on April 24th.  Tuckahoe is rarely open, but is allowing tours a few days next week in conjunction with Historic Garden Week. Thomas Jefferson spent his youth at Tuckahoe and received his first education in the small one-room school house that still stands today.

The trip will include a stop in Charlottesville for a guided tour of Jefferson’s Academical Village. The cost for the bus transportation is $22/pp plus you will have to buy an admission ticket to Tuckahoe which is available online for about $11. We are planning a stop at Short Pump Mall where a variety of lunch options are available.

You and any companion you wish to join you are welcome.
If you are interested in joining us on the 24th please contact Jack Thompson as soon as possible at 434-386-0388 or  Seats are limited so if you are interested please let us know as soon as you can.
The bus will leave from Poplar Forest around 7AM and possibly make one more stop in Lynchburg to pick up additional passengers as needed.  We expect to be back in Lynchburg around 6:30PM.

February 27, 2013
by admin

2013 Meeting and Event Schedule

The official Board of Directors meetings and events schedule for 2013 is as follows:

Board Meetings will be held on March 17, May 19, July 21, September 15 and November 17.  All meetings begin at 2:30PM and will take place at Mead’s Tavern.

New London Day is scheduled for May 4 from 10AM to 4PM.

Fall Festival is October 5 from 10AM to 4PM.

The Annual Meeting will take place in conjunction with the board meeting on November 17 at 2:30PM.

The Christmas Program will be on December 8 at 2:30PM.

Special events and committee meetings will take place as announced throughout the year.


January 14, 2013
by admin

Valentine’s at the Tavern

Thursday, February 14th at 7PM

Join us for an elegant and unique Valentine’s Day meal at historic Mead’s Tavern. The menu consists of pork loin, Waldorf and marinated carrot salads, green beans, sweet potatoes, Harvard beets and a dessert of homemade red velvet cake. Sweet and unsweetened tea, coffee and ice water will accompany the meal (no alcoholic beverages). Enjoy live music performed on our 19th c. piano and take time to explore the pre-restoration tavern. Cost is just $25 per person with all proceeds benefitting the tavern fund. RSVP and submit full payment by Friday, February 8th to reserve a seat. Send payment with your name and contact number to Friends of New London, P.O. Box 220, Evington, VA 24550. Inclement weather date will be February 15th. The tavern is located at the intersection of Alum Springs Road and Town Fork Road just off Route 460 in the heart of New London. Call Randy (434-258-8478) or Chris (434-420-1563) for more information.

November 14, 2012
by admin

Christmas Ornament Sale at the Forest Farmers’ Market

On Saturday, November 17 from 8 until Noon, the Friends of New London will be selling beautiful homemade Christmas ornaments.  You can also make a donation of $5 for a chance to win a fantastic framed print of the New London Village painting by artist Lora Fay Harris (Drawing to be held on December 9th).  All of this will take place at the Forest Farmers’ Market in the parking lot of the Forest Library.  The market is having a holiday theme this weekend with great craft items in addition to their usual local produce.  Definitely worth a look!

October 22, 2012
by admin

December 9th book signing with the author of First House

Sunday, December 9, 2012, at 2:30 PM, the Friends of New London will host a program and book signing by author Mary Miley Theobald.  The event will be at 672 Alum Springs Rd., the FNL office [former New London United Methodist Church] and is open to the public.  From Timberlake Rd. or US 460, turn South onto Turkey Foot Rd. or turn at the Seven Eleven at Wildwood.  Copies of Ms. Theobald’s book will be available for $34.95 with one half of the proceeds benefiting the Mead’s Tavern Capital Campaign.

Mary Miley Theobald has written over 175 magazine articles and eight books.  She received her BA and MA in History at the College of William and Mary and has taught American history and museum studies at Virginia Commonwealth University for thirteen years.



First House: Two Centuries with Virginia’s First Families

Walls do, indeed, talk in this compelling chronicle of Virginia’s 200-year-old executive mansion. Created to coincide with the mansion’s bicentennial in 2013, First House brings to life the private stories of the governors and their families who shaped the destiny of this unique home.  Lavishly illustrated with images old and new, most seen here for the first time, the book traces triumph and tragedy through the turbulence of wars, fires, economic depressions, and renovations in a story that mirrors Virginia’s progress from the nineteenth century into the twenty-first. This stately home on Capitol Square, completed in 1813 and occupied by more than fifty “first families,” has truly earned its place in history as Virginia’s “First House.”

Coming October 2012. Retail $34.95

Governor’s Mansion Press Release:

In 2013, Virginia’s Executive Mansion-the oldest occupied governor’s residence in all the fifty states-marks its 200th anniversary. To celebrate this milestone, the Citizens Advisory Council for Interpreting and Furnishing the Executive Mansion is planning a yearlong series of special events at the mansion and on Capitol Square, capped by the publication of an official bicentennial history of Virginia’s “First House” – a must-read for lovers of Virginia’s proud past.

This handsome coffee table book, written by historian Mary Miley Theobald with an introduction by novelist David Baldacci, and designed by Carol Roper Hoffler of Literati, will chronicle the mansion’s important role as residence, office, and social setting for the past fifty-four Virginia governors. Conceived during the Revolutionary War, built during the War of 1812, and looted during the Civil War, the mansion has endured fires, threats, riots, and hurricanes. Research has unearthed a wealth of stories and illustrations never before published. Tales of famous guests, pets and pranks, and ghosts weave through two centuries of additions, modernizations, and changing interior fashions. Newly discovered photographs, drawings, paintings, and antiques from private and public collections throughout Virginia and around the country bring these stories to life. Interviews with all ten living First Ladies provided a peek into the upstairs lives of the commonwealth’s First Families.