New London Museum

Preserving the history of New London, Virginia

Fall Fun Day and Antique Car Show!

| 0 comments

Date:  Saturday, October 10, 2015
On Saturday, October 10, 2015, from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, the Friends of New London will host a Fall Fun Day and Antique Car Show in New London village.
There will be food, beverages, music,  and period re-enactors.  Archaeology displays by Randy Lichtenberger will exhibit items from initial archaeology surveys at the 1763 Mead’s Tavern.    Copies of New London Today and Yesterday, by Daisy Imogene Read will be available, with all festival sales proceeds to benefit efforts to restore portions of this colonial village.
New London was established in 1754 as the first county seat of Bedford County and as the seat of Russell Parish.  Located at the crossroads of connections to the Great Wagon Road and the Wilderness Road, its stores, shops, and mills supplied the local community and many pioneers.  The Bedford County Courthouse was located on the lot adjacent to Mead’s Tavern and the colonial militia mustered close by.  By 1775 an arsenal at New London village produced gunpowder, cartridges, and accoutrements for patriot soldiers.  This grew to become a Continental arsenal with musket repair shops and production of artillery shells supplying forces in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.  The arsenal remained in use until at least 1814.  New London Academy was chartered in 1795 to educate young men.  Roland Academy was established in the former Mead’s Tavern as a boarding school for young females and operated 1810 until the late 1820s.  By the 1870s New London had become a resort community with many visitors to its Bedford Alum Springs hotel.
Directions:  From Lynchburg, via US 460 West, just past the junction with Timberlake Road, turn left onto Wildwood Road at the stoplight, then turn right onto Alum Springs Road.  Mead’s Tavern is at the intersection of Alum Springs Rd. and Town Fork Rd.  Watch for the Parking signs.  From Bedford, via 460 East, pass New London Academy, enter Campbell Co., then turn right onto Turkey Foot Rd.  then left onto Alum Springs Rd.  For further information, please call Reve Carwile, Jr. (434) 907 – 5396.

Leave a Reply