New London Museum

Preserving the history of New London, Virginia

Historical Highlights of New London Village, From Its Founding through the Civil War

| 0 comments

Saturday, March 29, 2014, at 10:00 AM, the Friends of New London, Virginia will host a program at the FNL office, 672 Alum Springs Rd., Forest (the former New London United Methodist Church building).  Revely Carwile, Jr. will lead this program, “Historical Highlights of New London Village, From Its Founding through the Civil War.”   A walking tour of the village and Mead’s Tavern will be followed by a program on village history.   Highlights will include pioneer days, the Revolutionary War, the continental arsenal, the Tory conspiracy, Tarleton’s Raid, New London Academy, Roland Academy, the Alum Springs Hotel, and the skirmishes and events June 15 – June 19, 1864, near the village during Hunter’s campaign to seize Lynchburg.  Admission is free.  Invited guests include the docents of Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest and all interested members of the public.
FNL is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization working to preserve the history of the colonial village of New London and its vicinity.  New London became the county seat of Bedford County at the county’s formation in 1754.  New London became part of Campbell County in 1782.  For further information please visit www.newlondonmuseum.org or contact Reve Carwile (434) 907 – 5396.  From Timberlake Rd. or US 460, turn South onto Turkey Foot Rd. then one quarter mile to Alum Springs Rd. and event parking, or turn at the Seven Eleven at Wildwood, then onto Alum Springs Road.  Event parking will be at 672 Alum Springs Rd.

Leave a Reply