New London Museum

Preserving the history of New London, Virginia

“Our Schools… Gone, But Not Forgotten” in recognition of Black History Month

| 0 comments

Date:  Saturday, February 22, 2014
Time:  3:30 PM
Location:  Friends of New London Museum, 672 Alum Springs Road, Forest, Va.
Admission:  Free
Saturday, February 22, 2014, at 3:30 PM, the Friends of New London, Virginia will host a a Black History Month program at the FNL office, 672 Alum Springs Rd., Forest (the former New London United Methodist Church building).  This program will feature alumni from each of the now- closed segregated black high schools of central Virginia.  Alumni will speak of their experiences as students at Campbell County High School, Susie Gibson HS (Bedford Co.), Dunbar HS (Lynchburg), Central HS (Amherst Co.), and Carver – Price HS (Appomattox Co.).  Speakers include:  Mrs. Margaret Nash Thomas; Miss Beverly Jones; Mrs. Henrietta Hurtt; Mr. James Nash; Mr. Larkin Watts, and others.  Master of Ceremonies will be Mrs. Delores Nash Hicks.  This event is free to interested members of the public and everyone is invited to come enjoy memories of student life at these schools.
FNL is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization working to preserve the history of the colonial village of New London and its vicinity.  New London became the county seat of Bedford County at the county’s formation in 1754. New London became part of Campbell County in 1782.  Event parking will be at 672 Alum Springs Rd.   For further information please contact Delores Nash Hicks, 434 – 528 – 0582 or visitwww.newlondonmuseum.org From Timberlake Rd. or US 460, turn South onto Turkey Foot Rd. then one quarter mile to Alum Springs Rd. and event parking, or turn at the Seven Eleven at Wildwood, then onto Alum Springs Road.  For additional information, or to check weather conditions, please contact Reve Carwile (434) 907 – 5396.

Leave a Reply